U+B developed a master plan for restoration of this historic property, which is a ‘contributing building’ to Chaska’s Walnut Street National Historic District. This third floor renovation is the first big step toward fulfilling the Master Plan, converting the original 1911 ballroom into a private retreat for the owners, giving them a quiet place of refuge from the subsequent renovations that will be occurring on the floors below. Necessary mechanical upgrades and structural reinforcements essentially required the space be gutted, but the ballroom flooring was salvaged and re-used. Raised floor areas were added to accommodate HVAC systems, avoiding encroachment on intact rooms below. Each of the dormers were re-purposed as well and are now a bedroom, bathroom/dressing room and TV room/library, with the center of the old ballroom now functioning as a place to relax with a cocktail in front of the fire at the end of a busy day.